One of the neatest things about owning a digital device is discovering new ways to use it. Got a spare 10 minutes? Look for a new app. Great way to kill time
There’s an more than one app for that:
I also installed Chomp — a cool app discovery app (so meta) that recorded your recommendations and suggested other apps based on those recommendations. Apple’s iTune Store and app now does this through the Genius service — though it’s not quite as good as Chomp is.
Last night some friends recommended AppShopper — an app and companion website that introduces some great filtering features to the app discovery process.
The features include:
- Popular Apps: Overwhelmed by the App Store? The list of Popular app changes lets you browse a list of only the apps that other AppShopper users think are worth looking at.
- What’s New: Track all the latest changes to the App Store: price drops, updates, and new apps.
- Wish List: Add any app to your own personal Wish List and get notified of price changes or updates by email. With Push Notifications, you can get the latest updates sent directly to your device.
- My Apps: Keep track of the apps you already own. With Push Notifications, you can get the latest updates sent directly to your device.
- Syncs with AppShopper.com: Wish List and My Apps automatically sync with AppShopper.com so you can manage your lists in a web browser.
A universal application (iPhone/Touch/iPad), AppShopper is a rather cool addition to my app surfing addiction.
Which is great if you’ve got an iDevice…but many reading this could care less because they’ve got an Android or BlackBerrry or Other…so, what exists for those platforms? iOS can’t be the only device with dedicated recommendation services. Time to ask for help…from you! Help us out and leave your favourite ‘other’ device app-finder app or service details in the comments. It’s appreciated!
This post of is one of many I publish weekly at the Future Shop Techblog. Read more of my stuff here.