If you follow my Twitter stream you know that I’m helping some friends out with a very cool Social Media project called Empire Avenue. We’ve gotten a little bit of press about it lately, most notably this article on Mashable. I’ve not talked about Empire Avenue a lot on my blog as I wasn’t really prepared — lots of other stuff going on, etc. But now is the time..
In the last few months, I’ve noticed a few things about the Empire Avenue world that have really impressed me. Allow me a few moments to wax poetic on a few of those things.
In the latest development release, codnamed ‘Cork’, Empire Avenue gained Communities — places where you can hang your hat and focus your influence development.
For me the key word is Focus. Unlike Facebook or other sites where community participation has few consequences, an Empire Avenue Community forces you to focus, because;
- You are limited in the number of Communities you join — which should provide more real value to all members, unlike other communities where you just join-up to express support. An Empire Avenue Community with an active group of members can be an exciting place with relevant discussion and content.
- Your Influencer activity and value benefits the Community
- Additional dividends are generated for the Community based on your activity
I love the new design. The tabbed interfaces, page zones, and overall look and feel not only appeal to my designy-side, they are also hugely functional for me. I can’t wait to see what the designers come up with for mobile devices 😉
Now this is really neat. Over the evolution of the beta, many participating Influencers have created their own blogs to support their activity. Not simply a blog post, they’ve started up new blogs dedicated to Empire Avenue. Here’s an incomplete list of what I’ve seen so far.
- General Zod’s Influencer Picks (ZOD)
- Brett Mirly’s Empire Avenue Tips & Picks (QWERTY)
- Chris Quock’s Empire Avenue Tips and Tricks (MAX)
- Adriel Hampton’s Game Mechanics (ADRIEL)
- JOSH’s Empire Ave. Tips & Tricks (JOSH)
- Colin’s EA Picks (COLEAG)
- Empire avenue Stocks (ZACH)
- Empire Avenue Thoughts (POOKA)
In the near future, if you’ve got an Empire Avenue focused blog, you’ll be able to register it with Empire Avenue, and we’ll keep a master list. It’s not live yet, but we’re workin’ on it.
Sure, it’s easy to say ‘These are the best guys I’ve ever worked with’. It’s also easy to say that this whole team is the best team I’ve worked with. Because it’s true. They’re challenging, entertaining, enjoy what they’re doing, and are hoopy froods that really know where their towel is. Engage them on Twitter, buy them a beer, and maybe they’ll tell you stories…
The Market Makers
We’ve got a team of Market Makers — software entities with personalities that work in the background — that analyze Influencer online activity and a number of other *secret factors* to arrive at an Influence Value. These Market Makers all have distinct personalities and characteristics that come into play at various times, yet all seem to be doing quite well in helping to establish Influence Value; which is also determined by market trading activity.
So there you have it. Five of my ‘Favourite Things’ about Empire Avenue. As I’ve said, we’re still in beta, and we do have many more things to finish before we open it up to the world.
If you’re not in the Beta and are interested in joining it, ping me on Twitter, I’ll see what I can do 🙂
If you’re in the beta and have some thoughts on your Favourite Things, then please, by all means, leave them in the comments below.