Wow, when you take photos of painted miniatures, the photos always catch all the rough paint-work and other issues, making the minis look like crap 😀
Ah well, since these Alien Frontiers field generators are meant to be played with and not put on a shelf and admired, I’m not too concerned.
One done, one in progress and one primed and ready to go.
The orange one’s interesting. I bought the Alien Frontiers Upgrade Pack. It included a lot of the new colony components, and these field generator components. It’s meant to upgrade the more generic ones from earlier Alien Frontiers generators.
So this one came without one of the generator arms attached. After filling out a form and uploading a photo of the flawed component, Game Salute, the distributor sent along a replacement (it’s the unpainted one in the background).
In the meantime, I’d decided to paint this one anyway, and am going to turn that gap where the arm mounts into a docking port. I think I’ll be adding yellow and black ‘alert’ lines around it. We’ll see how that goes.
Then, finally, I think I’ll likely give them a final spray of Testors Dulcoat, just to eliminate the shine. I like the way it helps bring out subtle detail and gives them a more ‘realistic’ look. Must be a personal taste thing developed back in the day when I painted plastic models.
Recently I’ve become aware of a trend to paint the often garishly-coloured miniatures and game components you find in modern board games.
My first attempt was with Mice and Mystics, and now I’m working on Alien Frontiers.
This time, I decided to prototype my colour schemes digitally. To do this, photographed the components just after priming, so the base colour has been neutralized.
Then I processed the images, cropping them, making them black and white, and enhancing the contrast and brightness to bring out the detail.
And finally, I load them into Pixelmator on my iPad, and Experiment with layers.
Hopefully I can come up with something interesting 🙂
Oh, and one thing I just noticed while looking at other people’s designs, the above Field Generator is missing one of it’s towers. I just assumed that gap was a docking bay or port or something. I’ve contacted the game publisher about this to see about a replacement.
*** Update *** A replacement Field Generator is en-route. More to paint!
It’s been about 20 years since I last painted anything remotely similar to these miniature game figures for Mice and Mystics. I have a lot of re-learning to do. Paint is now mostly acrylic, not enamel. New techniques like Dipping make the work easier. And the differing plastics used on different minis makes each attempt interesting.
I’m almost done this set for Mice and Mystics. They need some touch-up, maybe a bit more highlighting, followed by a Dip coat and a flat coat.
Can’t wait to be done and play the game 😀